Why Go to a Pediatric Dentist Instead of a General DentistMiddletown, NY
While a General Dentist will help a child receive the necessary dental care, it will not be as beneficial or specific as a Pediatric Dentist. One major difference between a General and Pediatric Dentist is that a Pediatric Dentist goes through specialized training to treat dental issues within infants, children and patients in their early teens. After completing the typical four-year dental school program, a Pediatric Dentist then completes two more years of residency training to gain the title of a Pediatric Dentist.
The type of issues an endodontist treats
- A pediatric dentist can safely provide an accurate and harmless examination of an infant’s first tooth. Since baby teeth begin to grow as early as 1 year of age, it is crucial for a pediatric dentist to ensure that the teeth grow in properly. A Pediatric Dentist will know best and the earlier a parent’s visits the dentist for their child, the better. Call us to see when the best time to schedule a checkup is.
- Parents may understand that certain foods affect a child’s dental health, but may be unaware that pacifier use and thumb sucking can also negatively affect a child’s teeth. A pediatric dentist can help to guide parents on breaking these habits with their child at the right time.
- When it comes to the actual visit, a pediatric dentist can provide a comfortable and child-friendly atmosphere. Children will feel more comfortable in the waiting room and be at ease with Dr. Geri-Lynn Waldman chairside manner.
- Since children are still developing their teeth, oral hygiene will differ for each child based on the age. A pediatric dentist can go over the best and healthiest oral hygiene technique for the child. Children should not use the same fluoride toothpaste that adults use and will need a gentle tooth brush.
- Pediatric dentists use specifically-designed tools for children’s dental care. Along with creating a comfortable atmosphere for children, pediatric dentists understand that children are not full-grown adults and need different treatment methods than adults.
Along with providing proper dental care, Dr. Geri-Lynn Waldman strives to help the child build a healthy relationship with dental checkups and oral hygiene techniques. The goal is to educate the parent and child on proper dental hygiene in a fun atmosphere. Instead of judging and lecturing a patient, Dr. Geri-Lynn Waldman spends more time educating the patient.
By creating a positive atmosphere in the dental office, the hope is that the child will feel more comfortable with the aspect of returning for another visit. Dr. Geri-Lynn Waldman can take care of the patient as necessary, parents need to help the child with dental hygiene at home. By working together, parents and Dr. Geri-Lynn Waldman can help ensure that the child receives the necessary care.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Why Go to a Pediatric Dentist Instead of a General Dentist Middletown
Back to top of Why Go to a Pediatric Dentist Instead of a General Dentist
Considering orthodontic treatment for your child? Read on to learn more about Phase 1 orthodontic treatment from a kid-friendly dentist. Braces are often implemented in phases to treat children’s individual dental issues.Orthodontic treatment options are now more extensive and dynamic for both practitioners and patients than in the past. With a wide variety of treatment…
Not every dentist is the same; a children's dentist is no exception. General and family dentists perform the same tasks in looking after the teeth. However, a children's dentist has additional training in kids' dental care. But you might not fully understand the differences between a family dentist and a children's dentist. Keep reading to…
As a parent, you might go to a children’s dentist because you do not want your child to get sick. You want your child’s teeth to stay clean. Many things that a children’s dentist does will involve treating early problems. Keep reading to find out more.A parent should schedule an appointment for the child twice…
Taking your child to see a kid friendly dentist is an important part of oral and overall health. Even though baby teeth will eventually fall out and be replaced by permanent ones, it is still essential to keep them clean and treat them for any issues that develop, even during young childhood. Failure to properly…